The EDMbiz Conference & Expo 2016 concluded its second and final day today at Caesars Palace Las Vegas. The fifth year of the conference brought together dance music legends and the most influential up-and-coming artists to discuss the history of dance music and its future. The day featured prominent industry conversations with such industry luminaries as Pasquale Rotella, Moby, Armin Van Buuren, Paul Oakenfold, Marshmello and Laidback Luke. Highlights from day two of the conference included:
- Armin van Buuren explained why his Embrace tour is the most creative endeavor of his career to date, what went into the launch of the Armada Talent Experience, and how he handles his various professional pursuits (ASOT, Armada and world renowned DJ/producer). Reflecting on one of the highest points of his career, Armin opened up to the audience revealing the trials and tribulations he had to overcome in his personal life when owning the title of the “World’s #1 DJ.”
- Moby touched on the parallels of writing music and his recently released memoir, Porcelain, and why creativity should never be seen as a means to an end. The keynote was followed by a book signing session.
- Making his first-ever keynote appearance at EDMbiz, Insomniac CEO and Founder, Pasquale Rotella reflected on the storied success of EDC as it celebrates 20 years this month. Through personal stories and firsthand industry know-how, Rotella discussed the influence of EDC throughout the national music industry and highlighted the future and growth of Insomniac via international expansion and developments within new business ventures. Rotella let audiences in on the initial days bringing EDC to Vegas, including the ways city leaders embraced the festival to the risks he took as a businessman – making an investment in what would become the largest dance music festival in the country to date.
- The panel Ads, Fads, and the Future of Radio featured a collective of radio and music industry heavy hitters discussing the current state of radio with an emphasis on new and developing technologies and markets. One of the main highlights of the discussion included the influence of music streaming and online distribution as it relates to traditional radio and media, along with an unexpected appearance by Armin van Buuren who surprised the panel by joining them on stage.
- Laidback Luke joined Billboard’s Matt Medved for an intimate fireside discussion with fans.
- Today’s leading and up-and-coming artists joined forces to reflect on what lead to their discovery, success, and the challenges that lie ahead in the current changing dance music industry. Participants included: Alison Wonderland, Bad Boy Bill, Jauz, Laidback Luke, and Paul Oakenfold.
- During a special check presentation, Pasquale Rotella revealed that the second edition of the “EDC Week Charity Auction” raised an incredible $119,941.49 for The Shade Tree. Rotella also revealed this year’s recipients of Insomniac’s Charitable Giving Initiative, who will receive funds generated from this year’s EDC Las Vegas. The recipients include Emergency Medicine Resident Research Fund, the Injured Police Officers Fund and the Nevada Childhood Cancer Foundation.
42West for EDMbiz
DVS = aLIVE Coverage
ADI = Adi Adinayev